As with many small schools volunteer opportunities abound at St. Thomas School. Many school families understand that volunteering not only helps the school function smoothly, but also increases the connection between the home and the school. We welcome and encourage parents to be as involved in the school as time permits. The rewards of participation are in the continuing effectiveness of our school and in the community created between parents, staff and other volunteers.
A volunteer information sheet is sent home at the start of the school year listing the available volunteer positions/tasks. Please complete the form and return it to the school office; you will be contacted to schedule your participation. If during the year you become more or less available to volunteer, please do not hesitate to contact the school office.
Any parent/community member volunteering during the school day or in close contact with students is required to complete and provide results of the following:
(1) The online Youth Protection Program. "The Youth Protection Program is a one hour self-guided training course provided by the Diocese of Altoona Johnstown. This mandatory training is required for all employees, all clergy and all those in formation for priesthood or diaconate, as well as for volunteers who have ongoing contact with minors." Complete the program at https://youthprotection.dioceseaj.org/
Once you have completed the online training program, you have satisfied the requirements for the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown and need not take it again.
(2) The online Mandated Reporting Training at http://reportabusepa.pitt.edu/. Follow instructions on the right hand side under "Registration". Complete the course, then print certificate.
(3) PA Child Abuse History Clearance - FREE for volunteers - submit request online at http://www.dhs.state.pa.us/.
(4) PA State Police Criminal Background Check - FREE for volunteers - submit request online at http://epatch.state.pa.us/.
(5) Complete the following Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form:
Arrest or Conviction Form.
(6) Complete the following Application to Volunteer in Diocesan Elementary Schools: Volunteer Application.
*Any volunteers who have lived in Pennsylvania for less than 10 years, will also need to complete FBI fingerprinting by following directions at https://pa.cogentid.com/index_pdeNew.htm/.